I have been a bad blogger, a bad friend, a bad everything you can name in the last 11 days. But, I really had a reason.
Sorry everyone, you're right, I didn't send out Christmas cards or you would have gotten one. Thanks to the friends (Cele), family (Cousin D - those girls are so stinking cute - and Aunt A, and Aunt N for the pretty centerpiece) and others who sent cards to us. I may do a "Happy New Year" card mailing, or it may just wait until next year.
I almost always send my cards last minute - the only exception being the year I was pregnant with Little Bit, and since he was due Christmas Day I had them done and out at Thanksgiving - that nesting thing was kicking in so I got a lot done early.
A series of things conspired this year to make me later than usual - and then real life stepped in with a bang.
First, a co-worker of mine lost her daughter four days shy of her fifth birthday - the week before Christmas. A freak thing, that no one could have predicted or expected.
While I don't know her extremely well, she is a lovely person and because of that, and because I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, it kind of threw me for a loop. It threw all of us at work for a loop, to be honest. They buried Audrey on her birthday. It just makes me sick thinking about it.
A couple of days before that, a girl I went to high school with, Kristin, died in a horrific car accident, and with her, her older sister. Again, I didn't know Kristin well, she was a year ahead of me in school and very quiet, but she was nice and we rode the bus together for years, so you kind of have a bond because riding around with Mrs. Fleenor was enough to bond anyone - it was kind of a like a POW camp. I'm sort of kidding. My Mom and Dad knew Kristen's parents and I knew her Mom - she was a lovely lady.
The reason they were driving to Twin Falls from Boise was to be with their Mom, because their Dad had just died. That day. In one swoop, this woman lost her entire family. She buried them the same day my co-worker buried her daughter.
So, I was a little distracted by all of this, more so than I probably should have been, but on Little Bit's birthday, December 21st (also known as Kristi's wedding anniversary), I was going to do the cards and get them out.
First, though, we were going to meet up with my friend Dana and her children, one of whom is just seven months older than LB, at Boondocks, or Wahooz or whatever they're calling it now, for video games, laser tag, mini golf and all that jazz. Big Bit was up for the first days of his Christmas break, so he was along for the ride.
The Husband had been complaining that his eye was watering the night before, and he kept complaining about it during the morning. He also made the comment to Big Bit (who had just gotten home from the dentist) that he felt like he'd had a shot of Novocain in his mouth. That was a little weird, so I suggested he get in to see his doctor. However, said doctor was fully booked and we were a little rudely told to go to an Urgent Care. TH wasn't in any pain or anything and felt fine, so we went to lunch first, then I was going to drop him at the Urgent Care close to where we were meeting Dana and go back to get him.
While we were driving after lunch, however, he suddenly said that we should drop the boys off and then go to the Urgent Care. He was a little snippy about it and frankly, I was a little annoyed. We got there, I paid for the boys' activities, said hi to Dana and that we'd be right back.
When I got back in the car, and asked him why I needed to go in with him, he said, "I think this is serious and I need you there." He hadn't said that before, so now I got scared. We went the three minutes to the Urgent Care, who got him right in - then took his blood pressure, looked at his face, which suddenly was kind of still on one side, and told me to get him to the Emergency Room, another five minutes away.
We got him out to the car, I made him lie down in the seat, and then I drove like a bat out of hell to the ER, while calling Dana to give her an update and to my Mom that I needed her to pick the boys up. Luckily, the hospital is a brand new one and not a lot of people realize it's there, so we got right in. All I could keep thinking were two things - a) I'm really not ready to be in the middle of a tragedy at the holidays(who is?) and b) It was Little Bit's 11th birthday and nothing could happen to TH on his birthday. It just couldn't.
As it turned out, we had a great ER doctor, who looked at TH right away and proclaimed he had Bell's Palsy. It's a condition that affects one side of your face, making you not able to move your muscles from your forhead to your chin, it's usually caused by a virus, similar to shingles and chicken pox, and it USUALLY goes away within a few weeks. No stroke, no heart attack (though I damned near had one during all this as you might imagine). Just a virus, and an inability to blink his left eye or smile on both sides of his mouth. Which is a bigger pain in the butt than you might think, but obviously better than the alternatives. He got some steroids and antivirals and an eyepatch. Arrr!
So, the rest of that day was a blur, then it was getting Big Bit on a plane back to Reno, back to work for me for a couple of days and then it was Christmas! At our house! With the stepmonster in law! Yay (/sarcasm)! (Actually, she was fairly low key, the gifts were only semi last minute, with no forethought whatsoever, and we had a good visit with TH's sister, brother in law and nephew). We got to see Cousin Steve before he jetted back to Seattle, too, so all in all it turned out well. And when I went to church Christmas Eve, you can bet I said "Thank You" to the guy(s) upstairs.
But I've had a lot to think about, and it wasn't Christmas cards. I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas and that your New Year's is great too. I'm hoping mine is drama free. It's my fifteenth wedding anniversary and I would like to enjoy it.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I got Christmas cards out two years in a row... is this the end of the Mayan calendar? Because that should be cataclysmic. My sorrow for those who lost people, no parent should have to bury their child, that is just so horribly wrong on so many levels.
I'm glad B is doing well, I maybe wrong but I think Sid had Bells Palsy. Here to smiling out of both sides of his mouth soon. Happy New Year my friend.
This too shall pass and hopefully we are all a little wiser and thankful for what we have. Love ya NJP
Whoa. That's a helluva lot to happen in a short time period, especially around Christmas. I'm glad that TH is okay.
Your excuses for not blogging are way better than mine, and I'm much further behind than you... hmm, gotta be less lame in 2010!
Hope you guys have a great New Year's. We'd like to drive up to Boise again soon, so hope to see you then!
Wowwie!!! I think we would all understand if you didn't get around to Christmas cards! Sorry for all of the tragedy - it does make one stop and think. I'm so glad you are all okay. Happy Anniversary to you and happy late birthday to little bit! - Cousin D
Sorry for your stress. Not what a person needs, anytime of the year. Hope TH is doing better. Warm regards, Ann & Wayne
Sorry for your stress. Not what a person needs, anytime of the year. Hope TH is doing better. Warm regards, Ann & Wayne
No worries Cuz, what a loop you've been knocked into. Glad the Husband is ok, and that you survived this also. I don't have quite the reason for no cards other than lack of motivation, and I really don't have much to say about this last year.
Love you,
SKKDDS
[url=http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/Buy-CEFUROXIME/]Buy Ceftin Mail Order
Alternative Order Ceftin
Where can i buy Ceftin online?
purchase ceftin
Ceftin Cheap Fed Ex Delivery
Order Cheap Ceftin Online
ear ceftin otitis media
side effects of ceftin
cipro versus ceftin
Cheapest Order Ceftin
Find Buy Cheap Ceftin Online
buy Ceftin no prescription
ceftin susp 250mg
Buy Overnight Delivery Cheap Ceftin
No Rx Ceftin
[/url]
Cele - actually, the end of the Mayan calendar is Little Bit's
13th birthday. It freaked him out a little bit, but now I think he's kind of proud of it.
Aunt N - you know it.
Yvette - one way or the other, we will see each other in 2010!
Cousin D - thank, don't give up on me, you will get a Christmas card next year.
Aunt A - thanks for the good wishes! He is doing much better and can even close his eye...with his eyelid muscles instead of his hand.
SKKD - Nice to see there's another slacker in the family. Love you lots.
Spambot - you are EVIL. Go away.
Life is what happens while we're making plans!
what horrible news for all those families.
i truly think Christmas cards can wait until next year.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful new year.
Picayune - how true!
GB - Yeah, I thought of you a lot the last two weeks. Even more so.
Post a Comment