Well, if you follow football, you've heard the news already (ad nauseum if you watch ESPN) and if you don't, you may not care other than the effect it had on me, your (at least online) friend, but my man retired again today.I do not share the cynical thoughts of many Packer fans, who relegated him from demi-God to Satan's little helper in the course of a few months and are already promoting conspiracy theories picturing him as still trying to go play for Minnesota or (gasp!) Chicago. I think he thought he could prove Ted Thompson wrong, and in many ways, he did. Until he got hurt, he was playing at a high level and his team beat both a team that went to the Super Bowl (Arizona) and the only undefeated team (Tennessee).
So not too damn bad, my man.
Those of us who simply thought you were a hell of a football player, fun to watch play (and just look at) and a devoted father and husband weren't surprised you wanted to play. Yes, we were disappointed that you wanted to play somewhere else, but in a way we understood, and it was still a joy to see you jump around like a kid when you threw a TD pass. We know that someday you'll reclaim your Packer legacy and you still have plenty of support.
Though I'd still like to pair up Little Bit and Breleigh, your daughter has competition now - Malia Obama. So you better make sure she turns out right.
I'll miss you Brett. A lot. When you started playing pro ball I didn't have kids (but you already did). You weren't married (but I already was). I got divorced, you got married, we both had more kids. Oh yeah, I got married again before that. I felt bad when your Dad died and when your saintly wife got cancer. And I'd like to think the support of Packer fans did help all of you through those things. It seems to be so.
We grew up a lot together and both of us had a mighty good time. But I think this time it's really for the best.
Good luck.

2 comments:
Brett retiring is like when they used to put the cape on James Brown and try to drag him off the stage.
My fingers are crossed. Especially for the Lions.
"The Godfather of Football"...nah, doesn't have the same ring.
Are your fingers crossed that the Lions get Brett, or that the Packers continue to suck, enabling the Millen-less Lions to improve dramatically?
Either way, you are a true fan. I
Post a Comment