Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Wonderful Life



I know I've not been a fountain of optimism on this blog lately. Well, you're going to have to put up with one more dose of negativity, and Lord knows I hope it's the last for a while.

TH got up this morning to make lattes, as he always does, and much to our dismay found our beloved dog, Margarita, had died during the night. She was 11, would have been 12 in April, and yes, for a Labrador, that's on the upper end of the scale. She had arthritis in her hips pretty badly, but other than that and a general slowing of her activity level, she was in fairly good health. She'd just come through her last checkup in January with good results beyond her known mostly old-age related issues.

She was the biggest pain in the ass as a puppy you could think of. The first thing she did when my Mom brought her in our house at 2 months was poop and pee on the kitchen floor. I was about 3-4 months pregnant. You can imagine my joy in having to take care of a puppy when I was exhausted. But of course she was so stinking cute and we grew to love her in spite of (sometimes because of) her sometimes Marley-esque activities.

As she matured, she became a sweet and lovely dog. She loved people, her family, especially her boys (Big Bit in particular), she listened, she didn't dig or chew and she was very intelligent. Last summer she actually caught a squirrel (quite by accident I think) and you would have thought she was a pup again, she was so proud of herself. She was loyal, bossy (she would snatch her sister's stuffed animals when she walked in the door).

Her mother, who some friends owned, died at the same age she was now, I think, and had far more health problems for far longer than our pooch. She didn't have a prolonged illness and I hope didn't suffer at all, or if so only very briefly. So I know she was lucky in that respect. But, damn it, we're going to miss her.
And yesterday was National Margarita Day. I kid you not.

Love you, Pookums.




9 comments:

Ann D said...

Sorry to hear about your dog. It is always hard. We had to put down Jake last year. It seemed like he had been part of the family for ever.

Yvette/innergeek said...

Oh, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved puppy. :(

National Margarita Day, though... that's just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

May she rest in peace. I'm deeply sorry for your loss, Cous. I know what you're going through and I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

-Cousin Steve

Cele said...

Ah Fii I feel for you. To me dogs aren't pets, they are members of the family. You and the Bits have my well thoughts.

Maybe the fact that it was National Margarita Day was her way of giving you a final wag of the tail and saying, "It was my time, I chose this day. Cheers - have a margarita (preferrably frozen with salt) and be merry.

Dennis-Edelmann family said...

So sorry to hear about Margarita! Brings a tear to my eye. The way I feel about my dog-child, I seriously can cry just by thinking about his passing. Such a loss for you and your family.

Margarita day, though?... That IS classy...

foundinidaho said...

Aunt A - it's so hard to have to put them down, I was hoping if this situation occurred it wouldn't be as hard. I was wrong.

Yvette, Cousin D, Cele - I know. As Big Bit said "that dog was so stubborn, she was going to do this on her own terms." I guess that included the timing. I had a business dinner last night, so I didn't get a margarita. Tonight will be different, I think.

Steve - Thanks. This was particularly hard on Big Bit. I know you can relate to that totally.

Pam Dennis said...

Yesterday was a very hard day for all of us.We knew this day would come but just not today. I love you Margarita and you will be missed. Love Mom

Unknown said...

While I have never owned an animal in my life, I am so very sorry. I can't imagine any of this.

May she rest in peace in the land of eternal happiness.

foundinidaho said...

Mom - yep it was. Thanks for your support.

GB - I'm torn between thinking I shouldn't ever get any after the three pets I have left die, and knowing I would be denying myself lots of happiness. Thanks for the good thoughts.