Monday, March 15, 2010

Epic Fail, and other updates

I have been a total sloth in my posting. I haven't "Talk Thursday"d, I haven't randomly rambled, I haven't done anything.

But, I have news to report. Today, my firstborn got an acceptance letter from the College of Idaho, the fine establishment I attended for only a semester, then was stupid enough to leave. And a scholarship. A good one. Not a great one, but one that levels the playing field with his other two options. Which means he really has OPTIONS. (Oh, and a much better one than I got when I went there.) Yeah!

And, I must admit, listening to him talk, I was suddenly sixteen again, looking at a letter and reading the words "The College of Idaho is pleased to inform you you've been accepted for admission as a freshment for the fall of 1983 semester". Or something along those lines. And knowing, suddenly, that you have a future. And options.

Folks, it's a great feeling. For both of us.

Now to see what he ends up getting from everyone. I may end up disappointed from my own selfish perspective. But I think he got some idea of what you can accomplish in life if you take college seriously. More seriously than I did, for sure.

Isn't it great, parents, when you get that just blissfully happy feeling for your children?

5 comments:

Cele said...

Congrats to Big Bit on his acceptance to UI - make Mom proud.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Congrats to you and your family.

The only thing I could think about in high school was getting out of it. I was the lamest of the lame, taking AP classes but NOT TAKING THE AP TESTS FOR COLLEGE CREDIT. There's my picture next to "slow" in the dictionary.

I wonder sometimes if I'd be done with all that is academic if I had only applied myself a little better and with a little foresight.

Oh - don't beat yourself up about TT. I'm at the point where I just giggle when I think about posting. Sometimes I snort.

foundinidaho said...

Cele - he's also deciding between Boise State and UNR (where I graduated) - we'll see what happens but I am pretty proud of him.

Don - my son took AP courses but hadn't done well enough on the tests to get credit. Sigh. But they didn't have AP courses at my little high school, so I couldn't say a whole lot. Don't know how I'd have done either.

I was stupid during college and my grades were reflective. At least I graduated.

I like the giggling and snorting. I'll adopt that. :)

Unknown said...

How awesome! I barely received an art scholarship but unlike my counterparts, I made a 3.75 my first semester. I was such a total geek.

foundinidaho said...

GB - the fact you got a scholarship is awesome. Then, of course, you became an overachiever. I'm jealous. I got a bit, but not much. Then, once in college, I became something akin to the village idiot so I didn't get more. I'm hoping the village I'm in didn't raise another idiot. I feel fairly certain that we didn't.