Saturday, May 3, 2008

I Wish I Was As Cool As Tony Stark







It's been a weekend already, it has...went to the Jazz game last night (yes!!! Take that, T-Mac!)Sadly, now ready for Kobe Bryant to hand us our walking papers - I have no admiration for Kobe Bryant, period.

Today we went to see Iron Man. I haven't checked Cousin Steve's site yet for a review, but Steve, if there isn't one, you should be doing it. I'm sure you've already seen the flick.

The Husband and Little Bit wanted to go, very badly, to this movie and I was tempted to let them have guy time and go, but they wanted me to come. The Husband has in his collection of old comic books some Iron Man. I never had heard of it until recently. I was more of "The Archies" kind of comic book reader myself. So I really wasn't interested.

Therefore, it was a "game time decision" as they say whether to go or not, and the things that decided me for it were a) Robert Downey, Jr. who I love, and b) the fact that Robert Downey, Jr. was on Letterman this week and he was as usual, funny, direct, handsome and all that and his clip looked great. Besides, as far as RDJ goes, I have to admire anyone who's faced the personal demons this "young" man has and has come through as the really good person he seems to be.

Okay, enough fawning over Robert. The movie's good. I swear. And this is from a female who doesn't get the Lord of the Rings movies (I read the Hobbit but after that I just got lost), Batman Begins etc. I do like some Superhero stuff, but it's stuff like the original Batman with Michael Keaton, SpiderMan with Tobey Maguire - something unexpected. Some guy you think would in no way be able to pull this off, yet does in spades. That's Iron Man, and that is Robert Downey, Jr. (Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges aren't bad either, though Jeff is WAY too good looking to be this ugly in a movie).

The movie also says wonderful things about people doing something meaningful with their lives, correcting mistakes and that war is an incredibly crappy way to solve problems. Sometimes necessary, yes, but often not. Peace be with you and the world - go see a good action flick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I saw Iron Man last night at 6:20. I loved it. It's already in consideration for my top ten of the year. Now, I'm just trying to figure out how to review it without sounding like a gushing fanboy. :D

-Steve

foundinidaho said...

I may have to add RDJ to my list of "guys who, should they knock at the door, I will run away with them".

Currently, the list is at Hugh Grant and Brett Favre. However, there may be room for one more.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm surprised that it took you this long. :D

As for the review, apparently my fellow genrebuster, Braden reviewed it and he managed to say everything I wanted to only much more eloquently. So I may hold off on doing the review for now. We'll see. But I totally lived the film.

By the way, if you liked RDJ in Iron Man, you really need to check him out in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. He's hilarious in that.

-Steve

Dennis-Edelmann family said...

I haven't seen a movie in, hmm, oh about 19 1/2 months - but we were planning to go to one on Friday and you just convinced me it should be Iron Man. And Kiss Kiss Bang Bang made the top ten in the Netflix queue. Thanks, you two, for keeping me entertained (as always).

Dawna