Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Own Private Idaho

Amazing...it's really happening.

And in celebration, I give you the B-52s. This was the first time I heard my home state immortalized in song (I guess the state song "Here We Have Idaho" escaped me until later)...I was SO impressed that cool people with funky hairdos even knew the name of where I lived. (Sorry, for those of you with a Lego fetish, this video contains real live people. But Lego videos rock too.)

I'm really glad it isn't my own Private Idaho (Shiggy's in Idaho now, and we're glad to have him!) - all of you are invited to partake for at least a visit to my fair homeland, because if you read this, you are someone I'm more than happy to share space with.

After two years that in many ways have felt like a wilderness (often, I admit, of my own making) I am happy and humbled to get to go home, and after twenty some years (no snickers about my age!) I'm still a Wildcat from Filer High dancing in a miniskirt to this very tune, somewhere in my mind.

Home...ahhhhhh....


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I left Brooklyn in '89 to come to Idaho to work the Fires (near death experience - looong story), my friend Gina gave me a cassette tape with My Own Private Idaho on it.

I've still got it. Along with my original Billy Idol, Depeche Mode, YAZ and Beastie Boys cassettes.

The Hor-ror... The Hor-ror...

t2ed said...

I just had to go through Idaho on my way to Butte.

I have a new appreciation for Pocatella (and it's Temple) but mostly for the Indian Casino en route.

And I always thought the first song about Idaho was that one with the lyric "Do the Mashed Potato."

foundinidaho said...

Wow! Cassette tapes! You are old like me! :)


I have little appreciation for eastern Idaho. It's a lot like Utah. The casino's okay, though.

Anonymous said...

It's Pocatello. With an "O".

That said, I'm glad that you're back home, Cous. That's awesome! :D

-Steve

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I agree that eastern Idaho's much like Utah. I'm in eastern Montana so whenever I get to Idaho it's very similar to Utah in so many ways. Boise is beautiful, though. Too bad it's ten hours away from here, making it hard to call ourselves neighbors!

Anonymous said...

What a strange band. I thought they were strange 20 years ago, and I think they are strange now.

What I find odd about Idaho is that locals call Twin Falls, simply - "Twin." As in, "We live in the middle of nowhere, so to get some semblance of urban life, we are going to Twin this weekend." Why is Idaho Falls not called, "Idaho"? Hmmmmm . . . mysterious, very mysterious.

foundinidaho said...

I admit, friend Shinshige, that "Twin" is the town of my birth. I guess we're just too lazy to add the "Falls". And "Idaho" is already taken as a one name for a place - the whole state.

SML, I'll still say you're my neighbor! :)