Well, we survived the trip - more to come later, I wasn't able to post while there because my stupid work laptop has an issue with Google...it wouldn't let me sign in. We flew back into Salt Lake Friday night, and of course, what else was going on but a SNOWSTORM. (Have I ever mentioned I hate snow in Utah? I think so.) We stayed the night there rather than trying to get our jet lagged bodies home, which had the nice side result of getting to eat at Acme Burger, which is one of my favorite places in Salt Lake to eat.
Some random thoughts about the trip -
First, London is really beautiful and I think everyone enjoyed the trip. I have to say I've had enough testosterone surrounding me for a week that I need some serious time to myself. Which is why my plan for tonight is to send TH gaming with his friends, Big Bit to his room and Little Bit to the XBox so I can be ALONE.
Sixteen year old males take longer to get ready than sixteen year old females. I'm not kidding.
Europeans who travel to London on holiday are rude and pushy. Not Britons, mind you, Europeans. Americans, at least ones traveling to London, are polite, try to maintain personal space and say "excuse me" frequently. And I'm not just talking about us, mind you, I saw this repeatedly as there were a lot of marching bands from the U.S. in London for the New Year's Day parade. TH and Big Bit both commented we heard more "foreign" and U.S. accents all week than we did British accents.
The BBC has a lot of useless programming. Although I did see Judi Dench more than once, and that's always cool.
I love the magazines there. They are more vapid and superficial than People Magazine if you can believe it, thus they are my guilty pleasure while there.
The fireworks were AMAZING and thanks to a columnist in the U.K. Guardian who I read a few hours before we headed out, I found the best way to get to see the fireworks without having to wait four hours in the "viewing area" - go on the tube to the Vauxhall Bridge, watch them from a short distance, then go back to the tube and ride quietly to your destination while the crowds all fight each other by the Eye. Bless you, good man, bless you.
I highly recommend The Mitre pub on Craven Terrace. It's got nice staff, it's kid friendly and the food is very good and affordable.
Happy New Year everyone, hopefully pictures tomorrow!
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Welcome Home. I've never celebrated NY in London, but I did in Germany. Wow, the celebrations. My favorite place in London, the Whispering Gallery at Saint Paul's Cathedral - wow to watch the fireworks from the catwalk around the cathedral would have been amazing.
Welcome back to the real world. You can't believe how much snow we've had. With massive drifting. I think we'll be finding neighbors well into April.
I just want to go to London to see dogs in pubs. And imagine my hellions marking their territories.
Cele - I'm glad to be home (I think)! That would be amazing. I enjoyed the bridge with not a lot of people crowding me. It's Pacific Northwest style fireworks viewing. :)
t2ed - I can imagine. I had snowdrifts four foot high in my yard last winter. Now, I get six inches and it melts later that day. I'm liking that much better.
We did see a dog in the Mitre! He was a big golden retriever - I wanted to pet him so badly! Your dogs would have a blast in the UK.
Post a Comment