Thursday, February 12, 2009

On The Subject Of Things That Suck

Update: Friday, February 13. Charles passed away this morning. God Bless and RIP.

TH has been a Dungeons and Dragons guy for many moons now, since high school.

When he was at loose ends around 6 years ago (because the Mother Ship was foolish enough to let him go), he met up with Steve the Lawyer (of Golden Mallet Fame), Jim, the Professor (of Ugly Hoodie Fame) and lastly, Charles (another lawyer, loyal to the Mother Ship). They all shared this interest and went on to have many nights full of Mountain Dew (Yvette will get the reference even before finishing reading). While we lived in Utah, anytime TH came up for work, Charles, especially, was the one who said "come stay at my house...anything you need is yours." He is so very, very shy, but for TH, he made the effort and though I didn't know him well, it made me care for him very much.

Well, as of tonight, Charles is in the hospital. He has cancer, which we've long known, never with much hope for recovery, short of a miracle. Still, especially given how long TH's mother lived with her own particular form of this horrible illness, you just never expect someone to really go. You expect the miracle. But we think this time, it may be not happening.

And he's forty damn years old. Never married. No kids. Loving family and friends yes, but somehow I feel he's been robbed of the chance to live all of the facets of life he may have desired.
Some things just suck.

Be well Charles. Whatever happens, be well.

In his honor (thanks Yvette) I post the below video because I think, right now, he'd rather be having Cheetos and Mountain Dew and laughing at this stereotypical D&D adventure.


7 comments:

Cele said...

My heart, thoughts, and prayers to your friend Charles and the people who love him.

Your post brought tears to my eyes, but the video had me totally cracking up.

I don't play dungeons and dragons (my brother did/does/and will again) but I do watch Big Bang Theory. And if you watch Big Bang Theory you were able to name all the people in the video from BBT who equated to the characters in the vid. Too funny.

foundinidaho said...

Thanks Cele.

I always joke with TH (and the guys joke amongst themselves) about the geek thing (Get Fuzzy, the cartoon often has obscure D&D references which I have to show him) so I thought a little humor was well placed here. Plus it made me quit crying.

I've watched the Big Bang theory and I loved it. I just can never remember when it comes on.

Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I didn't really want to cry today

foundinidaho said...

Picayune - Me either. But now that he's actually passed away, I am at it again. Life is just not fair sometimes.

Cele said...

Fii - May Charles rest now. May your and your Dragonslayer retain the beautiful memories that will keep Charles alive on this plane for decades to come.

My condolences.

foundinidaho said...

Cele - excellent thoughts - Little Bit was asking yesterday what they would do with Charles' D&D character, a cleric. I think the best thing is to keep that guy going for as long as he can...that's keeping someone alive on this plane in a way he would most appreciate.


This has hit me way more than I thought, being the wife of the friend instead of the friend itself. I think I'm not so well adjusted as I once hoped.

Yvette/innergeek said...

My sincere condolences to you and your hubby, and to everyone who was clearly touched by knowing your friend Charles.

(I'm sorry I am just now catching up on your blog.)