Monday, August 18, 2008

Just When I Think I've Got It Together

Then the last 10 days happen. (Actually I never think I have things together, but sometimes I do like to dream).

Let's see...in order of things happening (though not of importance) we had our Weekend at Willie's and the official Golden Mallet Tournament.

Before all that started though, we found out the horse races were going at Les Bois Park. Yes!!! We've actually gotten to go twice in a year. We got to go for an hour between getting up and having lunch; then attending the Golden Mallet Tournament. So, when I said it was busy, it was. This was our one hour of taking a deep breath.

Love Les Bois. It is pretty in its own Idaho way. And we saw Rod Stewart. Sort Of. Big Bit played paparazzi and stalked him.



"Rod" is apparently a limo driver in Boise who dresses up for his clients (I found out from my cousin Dan the next day). I guess he's been around for years but we'd never laid eyes on him. Now, we have. And who says you can't see interesting things in Idaho?


Pics of the track and environs - I sure miss this place. All of it.




We even picked one winner before we had to go. I think we cleared exactly nothing if you add in the cost of beer. Maybe less, since we picked the winner to show so I think we made a whopping $4 on a $2 bet. We won a few others but nothing of distinction.




Did I mention it's pretty? I think I did, but bear with me, here's some proof.



Then...it was on to THE TOURNAMENT.


Our friend Steve (well, TH's friend Steve, since he was the ERISA attorney for our department at the old Mother Ship he probably wishes he'd never met me other than because of that he got to meet TH) hosts a croquet tournament annually. The first time he invited us was I think four years ago. Steve has an expensive croquet set he bought from a Wall Street Journal ad back when the Mother Ship actually paid profit sharing because there were profits. He's gotten a lot of fun out of it over the years. I note that it's expensive, because if you look at the pictures, you will see it is NOTHING like any croquet set you or I grew up with.



TH won the first year we went. Then, incredibly, he won the next two years as well. The prize? The total discomfiture of attorneys, college professors and human resource professionals everywhere who really shouldn't be this competitive; and a beautiful gold spray painted croquet mallet (the kind we all have that paid $15 bucks for our sets at Target) with the names engraved. Steve REALLY wanted that mallet out of Utah and we'd heard there was a plot afoot to reclaim it at any costs. There wasn't, and TH almost won AGAIN, but a last minute ploy by Jim the professor killed TH's ball and it was all over. It was almost more fun this year not winning because last year when TH won I thought some people were going to lose their tempers, so now they're all happy.

Here's (from left) Steve, Jim and TH plotting their strategies:





I got to see my friend the Donna-lama (kind of like the Dalai Lama, she is very peaceful and calm). It was good to see her and we will have our final Weekend at Willie's with her in September. Yay!


TH and friend Shawn got to visit some. Shawn is interesting - he lived in Nevada in the same town as my ex in-laws at the same time I lived in Nevada and knew many of the same people I did. But we didn't meet until he interviewed for a job in my department at the old Mother Ship. It is a small world, but I wish I would have met Shawn in Nevada. It would have made it more bearable. He's born and bred Utahn (he is a Utah man, if you know the Ute's fight song) and he won't live here, either.




Shakespeare for that weekend was MacBeth and I really was disappointed in it, though the Green Show was probably one of the best ever. I can't wait to see Tom and Joe in "Greater Tuna" which is the last play of the season. Right now, I really need a dose of Joe and Tom, the Fool Squad, available for parties (www.foolsquad.com). I think the problem was it reminded me of MacBeth when we saw it in Ashland with Cousin Steve with its Asian theme (fun weekend with him, but didn't like the presentation of the play) and we'd just seen it I think two/three years ago at the Festival in a different setting. Plus Mr. Dan P. wasn't there. It made for a cloud.

But here's Tom and Joe being Tom and Joe! (Oh, Big Bit is REALLY talking College of Idaho, he even said it to Grandma. Must make plans to be home in 2 years, but I think it will be sooner given what's going on at work).



Wanted to get this out there - the Sunday, 2nd half of the weekend involving a wedding that made me feel really old and ANOTHER pregnant cousin (I currently have four and counting) - that post is yet to come.

Cheers.

1 comment:

SKKD Lambing said...

hum, intrigued by whom the 4th cousin is. On your mom's side or dad's? And do they have a blog? Well it's great Big Bit is talking CSI I loved it when I went great teachers, support staff, & campus, fun drama department.

Thanks for the post Colleen,